Followers

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

This breaks my heart....

This article http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/custom/religion/chi-religion-survey-26feb26,1,2242370.story from the Chicago Tribune appeared in our local newspaper yesterday. (I live in Mississippi, by the way)....anyway...I encourage you to go and read this! You may not be as disturbed over it as I am, but this is three times in recent days that I have read things concerning people, religion and the lack thereof. Just a couple of weeks ago when we recieved our literature concerning our Annie Armstrong Easter Offering for North American Missions supported by Southern Baptist Churches it states that there are 251 million unbelievers in the United States, Canada and their territories. 251 MILLION! Can you believe that? In this country, where there are churches on almost every corner...and religious broadcasts on television and radio every hour of the day!




Then when we got our spring Sunday School literature this past Sunday there was an article in the adult SS teacher's book again stating that 3 out of 4 people in North America are without Christ! A quote from this article " Jaelin, who just finished second grade, started participating in a summer ministry led by North American missionary Debbie Wohler in Lake Tahoe, California. One of the summer missionaries working with Debbie told the children, 'We're going to have a Bible study now.' Jaelin asked,' What's a Bible study?' After the explanation, her brother, Woody, asked, 'Who's God?' "

Where are we, folks? Why aren't we more concerned? Why aren't we out knocking on doors?

My husband and I were discussing this last night at the supper table. I told him if 75% of the people in our county were in church on Sunday mornings every church in our area would be knocking out walls to make room for them...or building many new churches! He said if even 50% were in church...he's probably right!

This is so sad! Are we selfish...unconcerned...unaware...too caught up in other things?

Luke 10:2 " Therefore he said unto them, The harvest truly is great, but the labourers are few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth labourers into his harvest."

We've got to get a burden for the lost!









4 comments:

Kelli said...

Hello! I'm stopping by to answer your question about the sugar cookie cake. I used regular all-purpose flour and it turned out very moist. I hope you like it!
~Kelli

Robin said...

Hi- I linked to you through Barb at A Chelsea Morning. I'm a pastor's wife too.
I agree with what you said. In my mind, Jesus must be planning to return very soon, or else there won't be very many to return to. It sure makes my heart heavy.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for coming by. Im excited to meet another Ms. Girl.

mariel said...

Good point! This is such an overlooked truth. If the body of Christ could catch just a glimpse of His heart we would be such a bold family! My 8 year old has a heavier burden for the lost than most adults I know. It sure opens my eyes to the reality of Christ and stretches me to be bolder in my own faith!

Thanks for sharing this truth!